Hideous Penguin Boy vs. Really Big Head

Because more than anything, we need real change.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

More music here: Another Stennie mix

For the second time, I've sent off a CD to be used in Stennie's CD Mix Challenge. As the stellar mixes I've received thus far can attest, my disc is still something of the black sheep of the participants in terms of taste. But there's nothing wrong with that. (People seem to be liking it, at any rate.) Here's what was on that mystery disc. (NOTE: Commentary on thought process to come later when I'm not sleepy.)

1. Sellout (a song that is used or has been used in a TV commercial): The Butthole Surfers, "Who Was in My Room Last Night"

2. A song that’s in a foreign language: Einstuzende Neubauten, "Musentango"

3. A song about cheating: The North Atlantic, "Scientist Girl"

4. Song that makes you cry: Dead Can Dance, "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove"

5. B-side: Drive Like Jehu, "Bullet Train to Vegas"

6. Kick-ass cover song: Revolting Cocks, "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

7. Earworm: Straylight Run, "It Never Gets Easier"

8. A favorite live track: Frank Zappa, "Approximate"

9. Title out of nowhere (a song in which the title does not appear in the lyrics at all): Sincebyman, "Who Would I Be Without My Middle Finger"

10. A favorite song you have discovered since our last CD Mix: El-P featuring Cage, "Habeas Corpses (Draconian Love)"

11. Favorite artist duo collaboration: Diamanda Galas & John Paul Jones, "Do You Take This Man"

12. Geographical location song (any song that mentions a geographical place): Modest Mouse, "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine"

13. Musical question...: Filter, "Where Do We Go From Here?"

14. And answer!: Therapy?, "Nowhere"

15. Four-letter word (a song whose title consists solely of a four-letter word): Tad, "Jack"

16. Seven Deadly Sins (a song about any one of the Seven Deadly Sins): Cursive, "Bad Sects"

17. A song you wouldn’t play in front of your Mom: Grinderman, "No Pussy Blues"

18. Song about violence and/or death: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Jangling Jack"

19. Guilty pleasure song: The Left Rights, "Take a Shit"

20. Amnesty Song - with a twist! A song that fits any two of the categories above. Rilo Kiley, "Does He Love You?"

2 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Bet said...

Well, Mr Steve, I do believe you've won the brass ring and big deal of the day - if I'm not mistaken, this is the first CD Mix EVER where I've not known a single solitary song!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger stennie said...

I thought I didn't know any of these songs either, but that Butthole Surfers song is in Guitar Hero II. I played it the other night and it's really hard.

Good mix Steve -- if you can handle the Carpenters I reckon I can handle the Revolting Cocks.

Well, not *handle* the Cocks, but... you get the idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home