Hideous Penguin Boy vs. Really Big Head

Because more than anything, we need real change.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The joy of irony #2

I'm not an enthusiast or anything, but I have been becoming increasingly fond of karaoke. Some family members and I went out to a local place to go perform some karaoke last night; as I've become more comfortable with the performance aspect (shaky voice be damned), I got up and sang four tunes. The last of these was "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright," but the company putting it on didn't have the Dylan version, only an Eric Clapton cover version I'd never heard before. I figured I'd give it a spin anyway; turns out it was a more uptempo, bluesy version with a more drawn-out call-and-response structure. I still nailed it pretty well, I think, but that's not the noteworthy part. Here's what struck me: As I'm singing, an older couple gets into the rhythm, gets out of their chairs and starts romantically waltzing to the tune. Good for them, I guess, but I never really thought of "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" as a slowdance song. Something about lines like, "Goodbye's too good a word for you, babe, so I'll just say fare thee well," don't really make me want to dance with my lady. But maybe that's just me.

I also tore into Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name," thereby blowing out my voice for the next day or two, but that's something else. Now if only someone out there will put "Bombs Over Baghdad" in their karaoke catalog...

3 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Steve C. said...

I gave some thought to trying out "Kiss Off." I may still do that some day.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Paul C. said...

Could be worse. At least it wasn't the Peter, Paul and Mary version.

And while it'd be pretty bitchin' to find "B.O.B." in a karaoke playlist, I'd have to be pretty drunk to attempt it myself. It'd take quite a bit of alcohol to make me shrug off, even temporarily, my unmistakable whiteness.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Steve C. said...

See, that's the thing -- I'm pretty lily white myself, but my caffeine addiction coupled with my natural nervous tendencies have given me some rapid speech patterns. So I think it'd be fun to see if I could keep up with Andre and Big Boi. Especially since I've already amazed one crowd by turning in a near-perfect "Ms. Jackson."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home