Hideous Penguin Boy vs. Really Big Head

Because more than anything, we need real change.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Things change

Some months ago, I mentioned to the Seattle cinephile contingent that I was making it my goal to get out for the Seattle International Film Festival in '07. Looking at my financial situation right now, that's going to have to be kiboshed -- the last few months have been rough, to say the least. So that's not going to happen.

However, one closed door often points towards another opening one. As it turns out, I'm through the worst of the monetary hellsuck. What's more, my boss's wife recently discovered she's pregnant with her second child. As such, my boss has informed me that he's going to take his vacation in April rather than September this year, being that September would be far too close to the date of natal delivery. What does this mean for me? It means that, for the first time in seven years, a possibility for a September vacation is open. I think we all know what happens in September: THE FUCKING TORONTO FILM FESTIVAL. And I just might be able to save up enough to do it up right. It may be my only chance to get to TIFF, so goddammit, I'm doing it. At least, that's the plan for now... wish me luck...

8 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger girish said...

Wish you luck, Steve, and look forward to meeting up in Toronto...!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Kza said...

TORONTO!

Whoop that trick!

(recently discovered that the hospital room has wireless...)

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Chris Devlin said...

Damn...too bad about not making it out here. I was looking forward to drinking beers with you. I want to make it to Toronto too, but don't know how feasible it'll be. If you're going to be there, it'll make me look more seriously at it as a possibility.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Steve C. said...

Yeah, man -- maybe next year. I really gotta try some of these beers you've been writing about. (Ya got me hooked on Great Divide... Jesus, their beer needs to be easier to find out here.)

And Girish: If my plans do indeed hold up, we'll definitely have to catch a couple of screenings. I'm giddy like a schoolgirl already just thinking about being immersed in this miasma of cinephilia I've only gotten to experience vicariously....

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger girish said...

Steve, I don't live close to exciting NYC like you do, so TIFF is definitely the highlight of my year, and has been for the last 8. And there's about ten or so filmbloggers that I know who make the pilgrimage each year, so there's lots of eating and drinking and arguing and making merry outside of the (heavy) viewing. I'm exhausted (in a good way) at the end of it all...

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Steve C. said...

LOL! I don't know if "close" is quite the word (it's an hour-and-a-half by train -- every trip, I thank the powers that be for iPods and portable DVD players), but I know whatcha mean. I'm definitely going to have to make this happen -- my excursions are usually solo, and it's nice (as I found during discussions of Out 1 with Paul Clark) to be able to talk to other people about what you've seen. (I definitely could have used someone to talk to post-Goodbye CP.)

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Paul C. said...

Dude! I'm planning on TIFFing myself this September, so I'll catch you there. I'll probably only stick around for a week- don't think staying the duration will be financially feasible. Still, should be fun. Hope we can coordinate our schedules for the good stuff.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Steve C. said...

Awesome! This should be so cool...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home